Whether you’re decorating for Thanksgiving or for the winter holidays, there are ways you can prep your New Jersey house this weekend! As a Millburn-Short Hills real estate agent, I just love seeing festive homes dressed up in holiday spirit.
If you’re hosting family or friends, or you’re staging your home to sell, I’d love to share some great tips that I’ve collected over the past few weeks. Jot down the ideas you would like to incorporate into your Millburn-Short Hills home and then have fun with it!
When prepping for Thanksgiving:
- Display some new, fresh pumpkins by your front entryway! The carved Halloween pumpkins have come and gone, but the orange and yellow hues of pumpkins and gourds are a fun, festive way to decorate for the entire fall season. Add some haystacks for added appeal.
- Create a centerpiece to remember. This is especially true if you’re hosting a Thanksgiving dinner. Consider purchasing a cornucopia from a craft store and filling it with twigs, leaves and pinecones, or with fresh fruits and vegetables. You could also use seasonal candles or sunflowers.
- Clean out your refrigerator. Thanksgiving is all about the food, and chances are, your holiday guests will be rummaging through your refrigerator at some point. Even if they aren’t, you need space for all of your pre-made dishes and leftovers. Cut your stress if half by starting with a clean fridge!
When prepping for Christmas:
- Go tree shopping. Whether this means going to a hardware store and shopping for an artificial tree, driving to a local tree stand, or heading to an actual tree farm, your home will instantly feel more festive with a tree in it. For first-time homebuyers, this is very exciting!
- Purchase a new ornament. Even if you already have an artificial tree, you can still spruce up your holiday décor with a new ornament. Start a new tradition where you purchase at least one new ornament for your tree each year. If it symbolizes something that occurred in the past year, even better!
- Introduce greenery into the home. It’s easy to get carried away with holiday décor that is all red, gold and glittery. It’s refreshing to add some greenery from the outdoors to make your décor more grounded and less artificial. Add a green wreath, green garland or winter plants.
Have fun turning your home into a fall getaway or a winter wonderland. Don’t feel rushed. Do a little bit at a time and make it subtle, yet visually appealing.
When you’re ready to sell your New Jersey home, or buy a New Jersey home, contact me! Winter is an excellent time for each, as the Millburn-Short Hills real estate market is less crowded and hectic. As your New Jersey real estate agent, I’m here to help!