Are you thinking about selling your New Jersey home soon but aren’t sure when to do it? As a Millburn-Short Hills real estate agent, I would recommend doing it right now! While activity in the New Jersey real estate market does slow down during the winter season, there are many perks to selling now.
Perks to selling your Millburn-Short Hills home this winter:
- Inventory is down. Many New Jersey home sellers take their homes off the New Jersey real estate market during the holidays and winter, because of it being slower, so this means less competition for you! With fewer homes for sale, New Jersey homebuyers will be more likely to take an interest in your home. Plus, only serious buyers are out right now. You could get a sale quickly!
- Prices are up. Home prices continue to rise as inventory and home sales slow. It’s supply and demand. As soon as inventory and sales increase again in the spring, home prices will level out. Right now is most likely the best time for negotiating and getting the price you desire!
- New home sales rose. The biggest real estate news of this week is how new-home sales rose 25.4 percent in October. If this continues, come spring, you’ll have more competition from other home sellers and from new homes on the market. Your best bet is to sell now, before this competition all arrives on the Millburn-Short Hills real estate market at the same time!
These are just some of the many perks to selling your New Jersey home this winter. However, if you decide to wait until spring, there are still steps you can take now to prepare. That way, come spring, you’ll be ready to list your home on the Millburn-Short Hills real estate market before your competition.
Here are some tips for preparing your home for a sale this spring:
- Set up an inspection. It’s smart to have an inspection done before an interested homebuyer does, so you know what issues or repairs might come up. By doing so now, you’ll have time to make necessary repairs and upgrades before the spring market arrives.
- Declutter. This can be a hefty, time-consuming job, but every Millburn-Short Hills home seller has to do it! After you put away your holiday decorations, keep going. Remove unnecessary items from each room and donate, recycle or toss them. Organize closets, cabinets, paperwork, the garage, the attic, the basement and everywhere that tends to get messy.
- Compare local listings. Keep up with your local New Jersey real estate market. Pay attention to homes similar to yours in size and location. What are they listing as? What are they selling for? How long are they on the market? This will help you decide on an asking price when it comes time.